Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Baby Shells Peas




One of the most accessible vegetables for children is peas in a pod because they are a fun shape, don't need to be washed or cooked and they can be opened and eaten by even the smallest of hands. My Bug loves to "help Mommy!" in the kitchen and so I plopped her down in front of an empty bowl. I broke open each organic (no pesticides) pea pod and asked her to "put them in the bowl". She did a great job and really enjoyed doing something all by herself.

I ended up making a whole wheat pasta in a light olive oil and garlic sauce with shrimp, red peppers, broccoli and peas, and fresh basil and coriander from the garden.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Will the kids eat that. Although it looks good I know my darling sons would of thought I was poisoning them.. And the sneaking the veg into soup old trip I used to scoop out 2/3 of the veg from from cooked chicken broth puree them and add back into broth then through in tiny stars or ABC's and the kids actually would recommend their Mom's soup to their friends when they came over.

Unknown said...

Should read old trick ..sorry typo